For those of us who have desk jobs or sit at a computer for any length of time (holler to graphic designers!) this is often how our posture looks. Our spine suffers from this as gravity is a constant force in this position. We look like that! Thoracic flexion, forward head posture, hip flexion leading to shortened hip flexors (quads, psoas, TFL), and elongated rhomboids, erector spinae, and so on.
What’s a fantastic pose to counter this? Bow pose! Danurasana
- stretches front/anterior (east) side of body
- contracts and strengthens back/posterior (west) of body
- tones and massages all visceral organs within abdominal cavity
- stimulates root to throat chakras
- tones reproductive organs and bladder
- tones nerves of spine
- stimulates CNS
- "instant happy" as in all back bending poses
- opens heart
*Be careful to squeeze abdominals in this position to support the lumbar spine.