1. YAMA: the first limb of The Yoga Sutra of Patanjali
Yama is social behavior, how you treat other people and your environment. Apply the golden rule. There are 5 yamas.
- Nonviolence (ahimsa). Do not harm any creature in thought or deed. Including insects. Compassion for all creatures. Refrain from gossip and practice patience, kindness, and tolerance.
- Truth & Honesty (satya). Do not lie or cheat. Refrain from deception. Live with integrity, sincerity, and clarity. Seek your dharma, your purpose.
- Non-stealing (asteya). Do not steal material objects or intangibles such as attention or credit.
- Non-lust (brahmacharya). Avoid meaningless sexual encounters. See divinity in all. Moderation in our actions.
- Non-possessiveness; non-greediness (aparigraha). Identify, deconstruct, and cleanse yourself from greed and hoarding. Make your life simple.